Well it was almost three months to the day since S.A.L.T. took over Shop #8 at the Lighthouse Station and you can tell we've used every one of those days to get ready for our Grand Opening last Thursday night. From the miles of fluorescent tube lighting to the mauve sand soaked carpeting we had our work cut out for us. With a little imagination, a lot of help from some friends, and an unimaginable amount of paint the shop was upgraded to a comfortable, fresh space.
Swapping out the lights for energy efficient, style conscious LED tracks practically transformed the space enough to call it quits there. The whole energy of the space was softened and the ability to re-position the lights made for functional improvements that highlight rather than wash out the product.
Our brute strength was put to the test as Momma and I ripped out the carpet. The glue was old enough where it let go from the floor easily but even cutting the carpet in to small strips could mitigate the added weight of 15 years of sand. Bit by bit though we got the dark, smelly, fibrous mess out of here.
The next step was to bring in some heavy equipment with the help of the team over at Coastal Rentals and Hydraulics to get the floors cleaned up. We rented a large floor sander and just as we were starting to get a good work flow going we had a huge setback. The cord got sucked into the drum and sent sparks flying! We know the sander was in top shape because it went right through the cord. Luckily no one was hurt and the guys at CRH were able to get us a sander just a couple days later. So we got a good nights sleep and tackled the project carefully Monday morning. Despite the fact that there were a couple areas of water damage when we pulled the carpet up we got it all polished to a nice smooth finish.
The finish of the floor was crucial to the next step. After getting all the quotes available on every kind of flooring, all of which were a huge chunk of change (that I would rather spend on bringing in product) we decided to go with more paint! We hemmed and hawed over all the various paint samples and combinations we had, six colors in total with one being a base and the other being a stencil color. Everyone who stopped in to visit the project was forcibly polled for their design input, with the responses spread evenly over the color spectrum we laid out for them. Since the wall color was one of the first things we decided on, and since I am a truly lacking any painting skills (read: I'm a bit of a sloppy painter) the walls went first.
Slowly but surely we cleaned, patched, and primed every inch of slat wall and ceiling, walls and trim. Then we hauled in eight gallons of the very appropriately named Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams and got down to it. We did the ceiling and walls all in one color to make the room appear taller and less like a tunnel. The color lightened up the whole room, giving the space a new energy. And after all that the colors for the floor came to us, and naturally they were completely different from any thing we had picked out.
We went with a neutral grey for the base color in a flat finish and a rich teal for the stencil in a high shine finish so they really popped. After a few test runs in the back room I just went for it, eyeballing the spacing of the pattern and peppering in the smaller leaves.
The whole space really came together though, with the addition of the antique display pieces and consignment furniture by local furniture restorer, Karen Murray. We also finished the window box (which was of course also carpeted) with some faux brick and big surprise, more paint. In the week leading up to the grand opening we wrote a punch list, knocked it out and then realized we'd have to start a new one for all the things we missed. I had a tremendous amount of help from my family and we got through it all.
I want to thank everyone that came opening night or stopped in opening weekend and made it a success. All the elbow grease paid off and we are looking forward to an exciting season ahead!